WARNING: This is not your average sandwich spread 🥕
A golden roasted spread with a hint of sweetness and a smokey punch ... can you think of anything better? And guess what ... the main ingredient is something most of us always have in the fridge or include in the shopping trolley!
This recipe is a great way to incorporate your carrots in a very unique way. Not only does this spread taste insanely delicious, but it incorporates an extra vegetable serving which gives your meal or snack an extra anti-oxidant and fiber boost! Talk about YUM!
Important: The addition of the smoked paprika is a game changer.
It is the key ingredient to making this spread extra smokey - DO NOT OMIT!
Serving size: Makes 2 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes Roasting Time + 5 minutes Blending Time
Ingredients and Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Meanwhile chop 500g carrots (keep the peel on).
2. Mix 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, salt and black pepper together with the chopped carrots and place on a roasting tray.
3. Roast for 30 minutes or until well cooked and caramelized. Allow to cool or refrigerate in an airtight container until use.
4. Blend the following in a high - speed processor to your desired consistency:
1/2 cup water and/or milk
1 Tbsp (15 ml) Tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 tsp (5 ml) honey
1 heaped tsp (10 ml) smoked paprika
1 Tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice or 1/2 lemon
Salt and black pepper
5. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds or fresh herbs.
6. Serve as a dip for vegetables crudities and wholewheat crackers or as a spread on sandwiches and wraps.
Extra Sweet: 1 tsp cinnamon and additional 1 tsp honey or syrup
Moroccan: 2 Tbsp (30 ml) harissa paste or 1 Tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin and coriander
Nutty: Add 1/4 cup (40g) toasted walnuts, cashew or almonds nuts
Carrots: The anti – oxidant powerhouses when it comes to Beta - Carotene (i.e. Pro-Vitamin A); an important fat – soluble vitamin that is responsible for healthy skin and good night vision. Just 1 cup of carrots provides us with our daily Vitamin A requirement as well as provides around 4g soluble fiber. Remember to keep the peel on - this is where all the fiber and nutrients sit!